How to select the perfect vacation rental in South Padre Island
When you think of South Padre Island, you probably think of Spring Break, but that only happens for a small portion of the year. Surrounded by water, with the Gulf of Mexico to the east and the Laguna Madre Bay to the west, the island also features great beaches, watersports, and plenty of events, such as the South Padre Island Kite Fest in February and the Spring Break Jam auto and tattoo show in early March, to keep you entertained any time of the year.
Follow these tips to make sure you select the perfect South Padre Island vacation rental for your travel plans.
- Where to stay for South Padre Island Kite Fest.The annual gathering of kite enthusiasts begins with an indoor kite show then moves outdoors for two days of displays of magnificent show kites every February. The fest takes place just north of the convention center, so choose a vacation rental in the central part of the island, near the convention center or Andy Bowie County Park. You might even be able to catch a glimpse of the kites from your rooftop patio.
- Where to stay for the Spring Break Jam.No, it's not what you're thinking -- thousands of college kids playing too-loud music and acting crazy on the beach. This is an auto show featuring anything on wheels -- cars, trucks and motorcycles, to be specific. Plus, it has a tattoo festival component where some of the best tattoo artists in Texas will be on hand if you're looking for some new ink. The event takes place at the South Padre Island Convention Center, so stay nearby on Padre Boulevard to be close to the action.
- Where to stay for the best beaches.There are more than two dozen access points to the beaches of South Padre Island. Since most of the island is less than half a mile wide, any vacation home you choose will be within walking distance of a beach. If you want to be right on the sand, choose a vacation rental on Gulf Boulevard for access to the most popular beaches on the island.
- Where to stay for a sporting adventure on the water.Island life is all about the water, and South Padre Island has many ways for you to experience it. You can rent boats or personal watercraft, or go fishing, whether it be from the shore or on a deep-sea cruise. You can also take a boat ride to look for dolphins in the sea. There are so many places to rent watercraft, including Parrot Eyes, South Padre Island WaterSports, and Southern Wave Sailing Charters, or otherwise enjoy the water that you can choose a vacation home anywhere on the island and still have easy access.
- How to choose your own South Padre Island vacation rental experience.A South Padre Island vacation can be as tranquil or as wild as you want it to be. Choose a cozy vacation rental cottage on a cul-de-sac for a quiet, relaxing beach experience, or a condo on the Gulf side of the island if you want more action. Either way, your South Padre Island stay is sure to provide you with lasting memories.