How to pick the perfect vacation rental on North Padre Island
North Padre Island is a barrier island along the South Texas Coast that’s small enough to explore in its entirety in just a few days, but rich in an assortment of activities to pass the time. Visitors from near and far travel to North Padre Island to visit its miles of beaches, hunt for seashells along its shore, marvel at South Texas’ wide variety of birds, like the endangered brown pelican, and fish along the Gulf of Mexico.
Follow these tips to help you pick the perfect North Padre Island vacation rental for your travel plans.
- Where to stay to enjoy the beach.There are numerous beaches on North Padre Island that are perfect for playing in the sand and swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. Padre Balli Park, located off Beach Access Road 5 and at the end of the Bob Pier Hall, is a favorite for both locals and visitors because it offers on-site lifeguards and freshwater showers. For a more outdoorsy visit, check out the 65 miles of undeveloped beach at the Padre Island National Seashore. Additionally, families should check out Packery Channel Park, located on Beach Access Road 3A.
- Where to stay for the best beachcombing.There’s no better feeling of accomplishment than returning to your rental after walking for hours down the beach with a prized conch shell, sundial, or sand dollar. While any beach on the island may yield good results, the Packery Channel Beaches—located close to the John F Kennedy Memorial Causeway—is known for beachcombing. For the best results, hunt for shells after a major storm along its tide line between the jetty and the seawall.
- Where to stay to go birding.Not only is South Texas is one of the United States’ best birding regions, North Padre Island boasts dozens of species to watch in their natural habitat, including seagulls, mockingbirds, doves, red-tail hawk, and osprey. For the best birding, stay near the Molli Beattie Coastal Habitat near the Packery Channel or the Whitecap Beach near Access 4.
- Where to stay to go fishing.North Padre Island offers almost every kind of fishing a visitor can imagine; wade fishing, jetty fishing, pier fishing, offshore fishing, and surf fishing. For wade fishing, stay near Laguna Madre and its miles of shallow, grassy flats that are home to Redfish and Speckled Trout. Stay near the Packery Channel Jetties for the best jetties and offshore fishing and the Bob Hall Pier for pier fishing. Venture into the Padre Island National Seashore to fish along the beach.
- How to choose your own North Padre Island rental experience.North Padre Island offers something to both visitors looking for a quiet getaway and those looking for a vacation a little more exciting. Stay further north, near the causeway, to be in a more bustling environment that’s also a quick trip to Corpus Christi. Go south, toward the Padre Island National Seashore if you’re looking for a more secluded atmosphere.