How to pick the perfect vacation rental in Gatlinburg
You don’t have to look far to find beauty in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. The mountain resort city sits on the border of the Great Smoky Mountains, which offers hundreds of hiking trails that are home to diverse wildlife. Ober Gatlinburg Ski Area & Amusement Park and the Big Pigeon River’s whitewater rapids promise plenty of thrills on both land and sea. And of course, downtown Gatlinburg offers numerous attractions for all ages, from mini golf to breweries.
Follow these tips to help you pick the perfect Gatlinburg vacation rental for your travel plans.
- Where to stay near breweries, wineries, and distilleries:Thirsty? You’re in luck. Gatlinburg is home to numerous breweries (Smoky Mountain Brewery), wineries (Sugarland Cellars), and distilleries (Ole Smoky Moonshine) offering delicious craft beers, local wines, and authentic—100 percent legal!—moonshine. Most of these facilities are concentrated on Parkway in downtown Gatlinburg, so book a vacation rental along this bustling street to enjoy a walking tour of some of the city’s finest sips. (Parkway is also home to numerous family attractions, such as Ripley’s Believe It Or Not!, Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster, and Hillbilly Golf.)
- Where to stay to visit the Great Smoky Mountains:Located just 10 minutes south of downtown Gatlinburg, the Great Smoky Mountains give visitors a chance to see the country just as old settlers did. Book a vacation rental by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and pick from more than 150 mountain trails offer breathtaking views of waterfalls, thousands of plant species, and diverse animal life. If you’re not up for a hike, then pack a lunch, hop in the car, and enjoy a scenic drive through the park.
- Where to stay to go whitewater rafting:Gatlinburg’s regional rivers offers a variety of intermediate and advanced whitewater rapids for thrill-seekers of all experience levels. The Big Pigeon River flows near the Cherokee National Forest and Great Smoky Mountain National Park—just don’t get the views distract you from the rapids right in front of you. Numerous rafting outfitters within minutes of downtown Gatlinburg can set visitors up with the perfect adventure and necessary rafting gear. Book a vacation rental along the Riverwalk, which follows the Little Pigeon River, and you’ll get the best of both worlds, with easy access to both the river and plenty of shops and dining.
- Where to stay to visit Ober Gatlinburg:Ober Gatlinburg Ski Area & Amusement Park is a year-round destination for winter sports and family attractions. Located just 10 minutes west of downtown Gatlinburg, the park boasts a ski mountain coaster, ice bumper cars, scenic chairlift, skiing, snowboarding, and more. Book a vacation rental near Ober Gatlinburg and go hit the slopes, and kick back at the resort’s restaurant and lounge when you’re done.
- How to choose your Gatlinburg rental experience:Whether you’re seeking an adrenaline rush, an outdoorsy adventure, or a leisurely weekend getaway, Gatlinburg has something for you. Folks looking to explore downtown Gatlinburg and indulge in some fine wines and spirits can’t go wrong with a condo near Parkway. Vacationers who want to bask in the natural beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains should look into a rustic cabin just south of downtown. Skiers and snowboarders can post up in a cozy condo near Ober Gatlinburg. Whether you visit Gatlinburg to play hard or to rest, you’re bound to leave feeling fulfilled.