How to pick the perfect vacation rental in Ventura County
Located in between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, Ventura County, California has been named the "most desirable" place to live in the U.S. The county, which comprises the Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura area, offers a little bit of everything to its visitors; a thriving craft brewery industry, countless hiking trails, arts and theater at world-class venues like the Majestic Ventura Theater, and beachy getaways along the coast and at Anacapa Island.
Follow these tips to help you pick the perfect Ventura County vacation rental for your travel plans.
- Where to stay near breweries.There is no shortage of local beer options in Ventura County, but for the most concentrated areas of craft breweries, plan to stay in the city of Ventura, and to visit Camarillo, Moorpark, and Oxnard. In Ventura, beer enthusiasts will find beer concentrated in two areas; Topa Topa Brewing, Leashless Brewing, and Anacapa Brewing all around the Ventura Botanical Gardens, and Madewest Brewing, Concrete Jungle Brewing Project, and Seaward Brewing all near Camino Real Park.
- Where to stay to go hiking and biking.Hike and bike trails can be found all around the county, both in-land and along the coast, but the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Center’s miles of scenic roads and hiking trails is one of the most popular destinations for outdoorsy folks. Since the center is shared by both Ventura County and the greater Los Angeles area, Thousand Oaks is the most convenient city to stay in for easy access to the trails.
- Where to stay near the Majestic Ventura Theater.Majestic Ventura Theater, located in the heart of downtown Ventura, is the region's most prominent local music venue and hosts concerts regularly. Plan to stay at a vacation rental in downtown Ventura, grab a bite to eat at one of the dozens of eateries nearby, such as Lure Fish House and Cafe Fiore, and then catch a concert at the theater.
- Where to stay near Anacapa Island.The most visited island in Channel Islands National Park, Anacapa Island is located off the coast of Port Hueneme in Ventura County. While visitors can camp on the island, there are no lodging services readily available. For a more comfortable stay, plan to find a vacation rental in Port Hueneme, Oxnard, or Ventura and then take a trip on a park concessionaire boats, called Island Packers.
- How to choose your own Ventura County rental experience.Each town and city in Ventura County has something special to offer. Stay in Ventura if you’re looking to experience California’s beach culture, in Oxnard for more of a “big city” urban experience, or in Camarillo to be near the county’s largest outlet mall. Stay in Thousand Oaks if you want to be just a hop, skip, and jump away from Los Angeles, in Simi Valley for more outdoorsy offerings, or in rural Santa Clara Valley and small town Ojai for an escape from the crowds.