How to pick the perfect vacation rental in Truckee
Just minutes from Lake Tahoe, Truckee, California is a rustic and charming small town in northern California. Along with its historic downtown that still commemorates its past as a pioneer town on the frontier, Truckee offers visitors a small town experience filled with local eateries and museums. In addition to its downtown area, Truckee boasts two ski resorts—Northstar California and Tahoe Donner—as well as three bodies of water to enjoy, including the Truckee River and Donner Lake, and numerous golf courses.
Follow these tips to help you pick the perfect Truckee vacation rental for your travel plans.
- Where to stay to go skiing.Truckee is home to two ski resorts, Northstar California and Tahoe Donner. While Northstar is known for its downhill and cross country areas, Tahoe Donner offers beginners courses and is a popular destination for novices. Tahoe Donner is located near Donner Lake in the west side of Truckee, so visitors could easily stay near the lake and get the best of both worlds. Northstar California is located 20 minutes south of downtown Truckee, off Highway 267 and conveniently near the airport.
- Where to stay near golf courses.There are eight golf courses across town, including the Coyote Moon Golf Course, Ponderosa Golf Course, Gray’s Crossing Golf Course, and the Tahoe Donner Golf Course. Stay off Norwood Boulevard in west Truckee to be close to Coyote Moon and Tahoe Donner, or northeast near Prosser Dam Road to be near Gray’s Crossing Golf Course. Stay in the Ponderosa Estates, near Truckee River, for easy access to the Ponderosa Golf Course.
- Where to stay for water-related activities.In Truckee, there are three main bodies of water that offer a variety of water activities; Donner Lake, Truckee River, and Lake Tahoe. Stay along the Truckee River for river rafting, fly fishing, and kayaking. Stay near Donner Lake for swimming, sailing, water skiing, diving, and fishing. Lake Tahoe is a 45 minute drive southeast of Truckee and provides even more opportunities for fishing, swimming, and boating.
- Where to stay near historic downtown Truckee.For folks less inclined to partake in outdoor activities, downtown historic Truckee is a charming relic of the Pioneer past filled with local shops, restaurants, and museums all within walking distance of one another. To enjoy downtown Truckee, consider staying in vacation rentals nestled along the streets near Donner Pass Road and Bridge Street.
- How to choose your own Truckee rental experience.Truckee offers a diverse number of pastimes to its visitors that differ throughout town. Stay west, near Donner Lake, for more outdoorsy activities like swimming and skiing. Stay in central Truckee to be close to all the offerings of the downtown area, including live music, shopping, and learning about the rich history of Truckee. Go east for more golf options in the secluded side of town, or head southwest to be near Lake Tahoe and Northstar California.