How to pick the perfect vacation rental in Malibu
There’s a reason so many movie stars flock to Malibu, California. Located along the Pacific Coast Highway, the city is home to some of the most picturesque beaches in the country, with average temperatures hovering in the high 60s to low 70s year-round. Naturally, beach-related activities are some of the main attractions in Malibu, but the city is also home to the expansive Getty Villa museum and the Saddlerock Ranch, just a few miles inland.
Follow these tips to help you pick the perfect Malibu vacation rental for your travel plans.
- Where to stay to visit the Malibu Pier:Located along the Pacific Coast Highway, the Malibu Pier is a must-see destination for anybody visiting the city. The pier has been surfing hotspot at least since the Beach Boys sang about their “Surfin’ Safari” nearly 60 years ago, and it’s served as a sport fishing hub since it opened to the public in 1938. Visitors can dine on local, organic cuisine at the Malibu Farm restaurant and buy all sorts of surf, skate, and fishing gear at the Ranch. And, of course, nothing beats watching a breathtaking California sunset from the edge of the Malibu Pier. Book a vacation rental in Malibu Colony to visit the Malibu Pier and possibly get a glimpse of Hollywood’s biggest stars while you’re at it.
- Where to stay to visit the Getty Villa:The Getty Villa is one of two locations of the J. Paul Getty Museum. The museum is home to more than 44,000 antiques from ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria, dating as far back as 6,500 BC. Visitors can spend hours exploring the Roman-style gardens and marveling at these relics from a bygone era. Book a vacation rental on the eastern end of the Malibu Coast in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood to be close to the Getty Villa.
- Where to stay to find Malibu’s hidden beaches:A great beach is only a stone’s throw away in Malibu, and everybody knows it. As a result, the city’s popular beaches can get extremely crowded. Beat the crowds at some of Malibu’s lesser-known beaches instead. The picturesque Big Rock Beach, just a quarter-mile north of Topanga State Beach, is a great spot to go crab hunting with kids. Carbon Beach, also known as “Billionaires Beach,” sports one of the longest beaches in the city and enviable views of some of Malibu’s most luxurious homes. Book a vacation rental in eastern Malibu along the Pacific Coast Highway for easy access to gorgeous, hideaway beaches.
- Where to stay to go on a wine safari:Drinking fine wine is fun. Drinking fine wine while riding an open-air Safari vehicle past herds of zebras, bison, and alpacas is even better. That’s exactly what Malibu Wine Safari offers at Saddlerock Ranch, just 15 minutes north of the Malibu coast. Expert tour guides and drivers will whisk you through the 1,000-acre property, stopping at various points to top off your glass with local wines. Book a vacation rental near Saddlerock Ranch or the nearby Rocky Oaks Park to easily visit the Malibu Wine Safari. All you have to do is enjoy the scenery—and hold onto your drink.
- How to choose your Malibu rental experience:If beaches are your main priority while visiting Malibu, you can’t go wrong with a beach house along the Pacific Coast Highway. If the Malibu Wine Safari sounds more like your speed, find a house or condo about 10 miles inland and explore the vast Saddlerock Ranch. No matter where you rent, remember to live a movie star. That’s what vacations are for.